Part 2: Building a contact form to gain new leads
From this new lead generation article series we presented on blog, you already read a brief introduction to what lead generation is in the world of form building. It’s a world of possibilities where your business needs to find its way to achieve marketing success. The “not so bright” news is that nobody found a universal recipe yet, one that will work in any situation and under every circumstance.
But we do have studies and researches which pin point us to the right direction. So, if we’re speaking about forms to aid you gain new leads, we’ll start with the single most used one: the contact form. Don’t fail to include it in your strategy, it is an ongoing provider of great resources. Adjust it to your own case and make sure you use it wisely.
The most powerful argument to invest in optimizing such a form is that it provides both value and comfort. It’s really easy to sort your messages and manage important requests while nurturing new leads.
But unlike other classical, dedicated lead generation form, this one lacks an important element: the incentive. Usually such forms have clear components and offer an immediate benefit. There is only the promise that you’ll answer one of their inquiries.
In addition, it also has a huge upside because those who fill such a form clearly have an interest towards your company. So make sure you take them seriously and harvest them with care.
How to gain leads through a contact form?
The general rule applies, and the well known process of transforming visitors into leads and eventually customers or even promoters still applies. But how do you win them?
- Make sure your contact form is fully functional, tested and optimized to attract new leads. We’ll get into the details of constructing it later on.
- Have enough information to decide if you can convert each visitor into a potential lead.
- Answer their inquiry before any other action. Don’t just use every contact in your campaigns, decide first which one has an actual interest in your business.
- Track the results registered from the usage of a contact form and compare them in time, things may change so make sure you adapt as you go.
Creating a good contact form to maximize the lead generation potential
For sure many of you would think that creating an online contact form is the most simple task since it doesn’t require too much effort or time. But have you thought that using an inappropriate word or adding an unnecessary field can drop your chances to have your form filled with up to 50%? Well, it surely can. But let’s take it step by step.
1. Decide which fields are mandatory for your contact form and use only those. We know you want to find as much as possible directly from the first visit on site but this is not recommended and stretching the line can cause you to lose important opportunities. Under no circumstances a contact form should be long. It’s by definition a short form, don’t confuse it with a quote request or other type.
2. Use required fields to have complete information. Making key fields required will ensure you have all the necessary data to decide upon the importance of the message and see its potential as a lead. But be careful with sensitive data like phone or address. For example, Unbounce registered a 37% increase of conversion rates by adding “Optional” to the phone field.
3. Build on your business visual identity, but don’t over do it. You might think that your contact form is a great place to self promote but it’s not. Form branding in this case should limit to logos, fonts and maybe colors, no images, no slogans or other decorative stuff. Just think about the huge success that the flat UI has among users.
4. Provide instructions for an enhanced form usability. With the risk of repeating ourselves, this is a big plus that you can easily harvest on your form.
5. Adapt the CTA to be compelling but appropriate for a contact form. You can get great results with actionable words, but not all are appropriate for a contact form since you are not offering something in return. Still you can try personalized copy like “Say hello!” or “Click to send message”. Use A/B testing and find the best solution.
Form extended functionality provided by 123FormBuilder
Besides this guidelines for creating a good contact form, there are several functionality tweaks you can do by using 123FormBuilder.
For once you can make the first step by enabling customized autoresponders to assure your visitors that you have received their message. You can also create filters to avoid spamming and thus facilitate your work.
Moreover, you can keep track of these potential leads and make sure you nurture them accordingly by importing them in one of the CRMs we’re integrated with. You have a wide range of 3rd party apps to streamline the conversion process, make sure you look into each one.
Do you have any great examples of contact forms? Keep in mind that you have to analyze them through the nature and size of your business and website, they are directly related.
Keep an eye on our next article from our lead generation forms series.
Image courtesy: hyena reality/FreeDigitalPhotos