10 Ways to Be a Better Marketer
Posted on April 18, 2022
I don’t know any professional in marketing that hasn’t, at least once, asked themselves how to become a good marketer. And that’s great for the industry and for businesses that rely on marketing for constant growth. Of course, not everyone can be a marketer, as it takes multidisciplinary skills, stamina, and knowing how to connect with people.
To be a great marketer, however, you need more than that. So, what should you do to become a better marketer? These are a few things you should keep up your sleeve that can get you to the top.
Understand your audience, tirelessly
To market your products or services to anyone, first, you need to understand your target audience. Look at all the data you have for your current and previous customers. Identify common demographics such as age, gender, interests, and hobbies.
But also, go beyond that and research their needs, aspirations, pain points, objections, fears. These will help you recognize what makes your customer base unique.
Based on this data, you’ll be able to create buyer personas and understand their customer journey. And if you ace your data analysis, you can even predict some of their expectations.
Don’t be afraid to be creative
There isn’t a one-size-fits-all marketing strategy that you can use. You need to build one unique to the product you’re selling and adapted to the buyer personas. Don’t hesitate to try new tactics out of the ordinary, even if it means taking risks.
Learn from your previous actions and frequently brainstorm with your team to come up with creative and experimental ways to increase engagement or boost sales.
Use the most effective digital marketing strategies
Digital marketing is in its prime. So, the question of how to be a better digital marketer doesn’t come as a surprise. Global digital ad spend is predicted to reach $389 billion in 2021. And if you want your digital marketing strategy to succeed, you need to use proper channels.
Take a look at how effective your current marketing channels are. When you figure out which channels work best for you, focus on them, but don’t ignore the other ones. Always be testing.
Social media advertising is one of the most successful forms of online marketing. If you want to learn how to be a better social media marketer, the answer is simple – learn the mechanics of social media ads.
For example, when you run paid ads on big social media platforms like Facebook or Instagram, use your buyer personas to target a specific audience from your market. Filter it by age, gender, location, and other criteria to make sure you reach a higher-value audience.
Develop your communication skills
Excellent verbal and written communication skills are crucial for a first-rate marketer. If you feel there’s room for improvement, the good news is that there are ways to sharpen these abilities. The easiest way to do that is to practice. That’ll help you become more persuasive, and it will allow you to write with ease for different audiences and multiple channels.
With good verbal and written communication skills, you’ll become a storyteller that knows how to connect with audiences on an emotional level.
Know what your competitors are doing
If you want to learn how to become a better marketer, you always need to be aware of what other marketers are doing. Keep track of your main competitors to see what kind of marketing tactics they’re using and if there’s anything that you haven’t tried yet.
Use visual marketing
It’s important to always look for new ways to drive user engagement, and that’s exactly what visual marketing is for. Across all types of content, visuals increase the desire to engage by 80%. Stay up to date with the latest trends and use pictures, videos, infographics, and GIFs to delight your audience.
Make data-driven decisions
There’s no room for guesswork in marketing. So, if you want to become a better product marketer, befriend data. It’s a cornerstone of every successful marketing strategy. Data can give you useful insights into your customer profile, preferred channels, and their attitude towards your brand. Use this valuable information to feed your marketing strategy and better connect with your customers.
Create quality content
You have probably heard the expression “Content is king” countless times, and there’s a reason for it. Quality content has been a staple in marketing for a long time. If you create good content, you’ll generate leads faster, create a good reputation for your company, and build brand recognition.
Create customer feedback collection processes
Any type of customer feedback is valuable. It can give you powerful information that’ll help you improve your marketing efforts and your company’s products and services. To hear from your customers, you need to create a customer feedback collection process.
Here are some of the best ways to do that:
- Create surveys. Ask your customers about the product they’re using and their experience. You’ll uncover specific issues that you can later tackle and ultimately meet your marketing goals. Use an online survey maker to build your questionnaires and aggregate responses in real-time reports.
- Email forms. Ask the most important questions via email. Just make sure to personalize the conversation so your customers know their opinion matters. A so-called email form builder can help you build smart email notifications and autoresponders after each submission.
- Usability tests. For every new update on your product, do a usability test with your users, so you can figure out if anything needs to be changed or even removed.
- Exploratory customer interviews. Reach out to customers directly and start an open dialogue about their relationship with your products and with the brand. You’ll get into specifics by the end of it, but the interviews will first expose why the customer uses the product and how exactly it fulfills their needs.
- Social media. Monitor direct comments or mentions to see what your customers think about your business. You can also create polls to gather valuable information.
- On-site activity. If you’re selling a digital product, look at the website analytics to see how customers interact and use your product.
- Instant website feedback. Regularly check your website to see what content is the most popular and gets the most customer interactions. One way to acquire feedback is to directly ask your visitors with feedback forms.
- Data collection workflows. There are so many things you can do with online forms, both externally and internally. With the right form builder, you can optimize a variety of team operations (or workflows) depending on the industry you are in.
If you’re working in marketing, you should always strive to become a better marketer. With the right tips and tricks, you can always find ways to fine-tune your skills. Return to these resources whenever you feel stuck and start paving your way towards becoming a better marketer.