In order to configure your SMTP email server with Gmail, you need to enable on your Google account 2-step Verification and use an app password instead of your Google account’s normal password.
An app password is a 16-digit code that gives an external app or device permission to access your Google Account.
We recommend turning 2-step Verification On due to the fact that Google is constantly restricting access to non-Google products.
Follow the steps below to learn how to send emails through your Gmail SMTP server:
1. Open your Gmail account and head over to the gear icon to access its settings.
2. At Forwarding and POP/IMAP look for the option called IMAP access and disable it.
3. Click on your account’s icon and select Manage your Google Account.
4. Open the Security section and select App passwords.
5. In ‘Select app’ choose ‘Other (custom name)‘, give it a name and press Generate. The name can be 123FormBuilder. This way you know that the password is related to your 123FormBuilder forms.
6. It will give you a 16-digit code. Copy and save the password.
Important NoteOnce you click on Done, the password can no longer be retrieved. If you will need to re-use the password later for a different form, make sure you are copying and saving it somewhere safe before clicking on Done. However, you can generate a new password at any given time and your old password will still work on the forms where you enabled SMTP using it.
7. Now that you have the password, head over to your form builder account on 123FormBuilder and open the SMTP configuration window.
8. Insert your SMTP server details. Where it asks you to enter the Password, paste the app password copied earlier.
Use the following settings:
9. Click Test connection and open your Gmail inbox.
10. A verification code is sent by 123FormBuilder. Copy your verification code. If the email isn’t there, you might have to whitelist and mark us as a trusted sender.
11. Back to your SMTP settings, place this verification code, and hit Validate.
12. Close and open again the window to check the SMTP Status.
13. Make a test submission.
From now on, all notifications will be sent through your SMTP server.